Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Dalton - Working the Pedro Beltran

11/11/13

Hey mom!  I got the package...today.  I did have to go to Serpost to get it  (bomp bomp ba bom berrr… Price is Right trombone music).  I think it’s because the watch costs a little bit more money.  I did, fortunately, make it out alive.   Didn’t have to pay fees, so that was nice.  I was eating away my frustration with all of those cookies until I put on the watch.  I’m all good now.  It’s a very slick watch.  Thank you!

Ok, there are 3 pictures to please the fans.  The first is from our baptism on Saturday!  His name is Javier and he is a shy 19-year-old that wants to serve a mission.  He’s a good boy.  


The second picture was my parting gift to Elder Sarria.  Caricatures are easier than messages.  



The last is evidence that I should never cut my own hair.  No worries.  The picture from the baptism is the most recent, and my hair looks lovely there.



Oh man, I feel so blessed to be in this ward.  Ventanilla is basically the northern tip of Lima.  A lot of receptive people live here.  To boot, there are enough active priesthood holders here to have a functional ward.  Receptiveness and a solid ward together is something that I didn’t know could come together. Elder Rubi and I decided this week that in this area, there is no reason why we shouldn’t reach the standard of excellence every week.  That way of thinking is changing my very nature.  It’s a lot of fun.  Elder Rubi is a very humble and hard worker that is looking to improve as well, which is just allowing us to go to town.  Honestly, this was one of the best weeks of my life, because I now see the potential I have on my mission.

Oh, and Davi, we are teaching a 21-year-old that was receiving the lessons in Piura a month ago.  His name is Giancarlos, and he was living by the comiseria de San Martin. [Maybe he means comisaria, which, according to Google Translate, means commissioner.]  He said he was being taught by a huge white guy and a short Latino.  Any guesses?  Anyway, if you find them, tell them thanks and that we are going to baptize him soon.  Man, Piura missionaries are so nice, right, Davi?

Also, we are teaching a kid named Abrahan from Italy.  He’s getting baptized in 2 weeks.  It’s cool teaching someone that started learning Spanish a year ago too.  He also knows everything.  We started teaching about the priesthood and then he started explaining the difference between Aaronic and Melchezidek priesthood before we even taught it.  Man, we're good!

Oh, also, people sell churros filled with caramel on the streets here.  It has effectively ruined my life.

Anyway, I’m having a blast here.  Keep it up in Vegas!  Sorry, but I tell everyone that I’m from Vegas.  [Spencer commented here that, even in Washington DC, nobody had heard of Reno, but everyone knows where Vegas is.]

Elder Johnson

[Curious about Dalton's heading?  Me too.  So I consulted Google.  Pedro Baltran was a Peruvian economist, diplomat, and publisher whose brief term as prime minister and minister of finance (1959-61) stabilized the Peruvian economy. Knowing Dalton, he would appreciate a guy like that.  He must be referring to how glad he was not to pay a fee to pick up his package from Serpost.]


1 comment:

  1. "We started teaching about the priesthood and then he started explaining the difference between Aaronic and Melchezidek priesthood before we even taught it. Man, we're good!" Love that guy.

    ReplyDelete