Tuesday, October 28, 2014

I Don't Get Paid Enough For What I Do

September 8, 2014

Ok, we had a great week.  I'm not sure how much I explained about our ward, but it’s called Covida and it's about a 5-minute bus ride from the mission offices.  So, we live in our area, we study in our area, and then we generally go to the offices to do our day job, eat lunch, slam through whatever else we need to do and go back on the bus to our areas.  We really try to get out of there as soon as we can, which I suppose is about the same as a day job outside of the mission.  The packages part of my day job is super easy, but the numbers of the mission job is a bit harder because I use Excel (the word Excel gives me the shivers).  But it's important because I have to send some things to the area and whatever, and then sending referrals just makes me want to punch-dance my rage out sometimes, because there are some referrals that Google Maps is convinced don’t exist.  But, I'm basically caught up.  The offices are pretty fun.

Outside of the offices are a lot more fun.  Elder Feller and I are really wanting to go to town, so we get out of the offices as soon as we can to find new people.  Since we opened  this area and there haven't been a lot of investigators, we are finding and finding and finding.  It is a lot of fun.  We made the conscious decision to trust each other, just to never be embarrassed to even start up a terrible contact.  We have found that we have, yes, started up some poor contacts, but more and more of the contacts every day are people that have previously had contact with the church or people that have a family member in the church.  So in the end, it doesn't really matter how we are contacting, since the Lord is just giving us great contacts.

Basically, the area had one investigator when we came in.  His name is Jean.  He's a dentist that is also studying, so we never had time to teach him up until yesterday, although we met him at church before. As it turns out, he has been investigating the church for 6 months.  The first missionaries to teach him were the assistants, who later realized that they were poaching, and then a fair number of missionaries taught him after that.  When we taught, we basically asked the baptismal interview questions to see where he is. Afterwards, we asked him, "So what is really your doubt about being baptized?"  He said that there isn't, that he just needs to make his decision.  Then we asked what he lacked to make that decision.  In the end, his only real doubt was with his schedule.  He's getting baptized on the 20th.  We left the lesson and we felt like we didn't do anything.  
I don't have time right now to explain everything that's happening here, but I'll just say that we are receiving a lot of help in an area that we heard was very difficult.  As far as I can tell, Covida is the best area I've ever had. I'm with a good companion who is pushing me to do the best I can, and I'm very happy that the Lord knows me and takes care of me.  It's nice to know that it's not too late to change my mission.

Love you all!

Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment