Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Dalton - Conference in Spanish

10/7/13

Yesterday, there were two four-year-old boys on the street with a toy gun.  As we came by, one of them said, "Los Mormones!  Matalo!"  [“The Mormons!  Kill them!”]  We died.  Yet, after rising from the dead, we couldn’t help but think, "Why do only the little kids recognize that we´re not the JW's?"

I’m sorry for those of you who couldn’t open the photos I sent last week.  But trust me… I’m gorgeous.  [Those photos are right here.  I know Dalton was kidding around, but I’m sure you’ll agree—he really does look great!]




I loved conference.  In fact, I like conference better in a way when it’s in Spanish.  For example, the translator for President Packer doesn’t have dentures.  It’s also great to listen when you talk about the importance of prophets every day.  It no longer becomes a matter of listening to the wise old men in suits. They become more like prayers that you’ve been waiting to have answered.  

Priesthood session seemed very different to me from an international perspective. Having it broadcast online makes it easier to have conference broadcast at every chapel rather than at one location in the stake.  More priesthood holders without very good transportation access can come watch it.  I also think that the messages very much had in mind the international audience.  The talks, I think especially on home teaching, really hit home the basics for places that struggle with activity rates and are still waiting for this generation to serve missions and lead the church here.  I absolutely loved it!

Hey, and don’t forget about Elder Ballard’s challenge for Christmas!

Man, my mind is really changing on the topic of less-actives.  Activating a family is the absolute best way to find people to baptize, and at the same time, you have a family that comes back.  It’s the same work, so you end up having twice the fruit.  As we were visiting a house that flaked out on us, a member from Chiclayo (far away) came up to us and introduced us to his nephew, who lives here with his inactive father.  This is perfect.  The softest dads with the missionaries are the less-actives.  We’ve got another family!

Love you all.  You’re great.


Elder Johnson

1 comment:

  1. "It’s also great to listen when you talk about the importance of prophets every day. It no longer becomes a matter of listening to the wise old men in suits. They become more like prayers that you’ve been waiting to have answered." He's sure got the spirit!

    ReplyDelete