Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Less Effective... For Now.

Email from July 7, 2014

Well, hello, everyone!

Yeah, we are still working on the balloon animals.  It is surprisingly effective.  The kids love us!  They are totally on our side when they have the balloon in their hands.  One dad we were talking to gave us his address, and it went something like this (not even kidding):

Us:  So, where do you live?
Contact:  Block M
Kid with balloon:  No!  L!
Contact:  Lot 17
Kid:  25!
Us:  And your name, one more time?
Contact:  Jorge
Kid:  Eduardo!
Contact: Quispe
Kid:  Gonzalez!

It was hilarious.  I can't even describe it.  Parents just can't possibly lie to us when we give their kids an inflatable dog.

Bad thing about balloon animals:  I am dependent now.  That same night, I confidently stopped this huge family, said we have something to give them, and then opened my bag to find that I had used my last balloon that I had brought.  I looked at my companion, looked at them, and said, "Well, have a good night!"  I can't even explain to you why I didn't give them a pamphlet.  But anyway, it was funny.  And I've learned my lesson.

Something that hasn't seen results (yet) is something I tried for the first time on Friday.  Free caricatures.  It was fun, but we just didn't really have very good timing that day.  But, we did manage to draw a few members that passed by in the park.

I love President Archibald.  Had a totally game-changing interview yesterday with him.  I can't really describe it, but my mission is going to be different now.  I still remember when I started my mission and I didn't feel like I belonged, almost that I was supposed to be in a different mission.  Then President Archibald came in during my 3rd month or so, and since that point, I have understood that the Lord knew all along where to put me.   That would really be my piece of advice to those preparing to go out to the field:  Don't worry so much about where you're going.  The Lord is most likely going to place you with the mission president you were meant to be with more than anything else. The rest will make sense.

I just love it out here.  Hope you're all doing well.


Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment