Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Dalton - 7/29/13 email

Don't tell me you forgot Peruvian Independence Day again...

Don't worry.  At least I didn't forget that yesterday honors the independence of the greatest country in the west coast of South America.  I'm sorry if that sounded a little bold, so I will apologize to any Chileans that are currently reading.  Elder Bulacio and I even wore our matching red ties.  It was cute.

This week, we had our first interviews with President Archibald.  He is incredible.  The mission, including myself, needs to change.  I haven't felt like I've been answering the prayers of Enos and all of the prophets in the Book of Mormon with what I've been doing, even though that's what I've been trusted to do here.  Expect a change with the work in the following weeks, because that's what I'll do.

Something else that President Archibald did was add a new key indicator for us: number of less actives in sacrament meeting.  That's exactly what we need: baptisms every week and new less actives at church every Sunday, watching the confirmations.  Because, boy, there's a lot we can do with that indicator. President showed us the scripture of the Ammonites never falling away once they received the word, and essentially asked us, "Why should we not have the same expectations for their descendants?"  It's amazing what a fresh mission president can do to get your average missionary like myself to shape up and live up to his potential.  It's exciting!

We have two people getting baptized this Saturday!  Jhostin is finally going under the water, as well as Celinda, who had just the most surprising lesson on Saturday.  She had been coming to church with her sister, who is a recent convert, for a while, but just didn't seem too interested in baptism.  But, on Saturday, we essentially didn't have to teach anything.  She told us how she feels like a changed person, and everyone comments how she's so much calmer and kinder at work.  She said, "I think God's telling me to get baptized."  We taught the Word of Wisdom for less than a minute when she commented on how she hasn't been able to stand alcohol or coffee for the past couple of weeks.  What?  That was awesome.

I'm glad to hear that the stake is starting to shape up.  I really feel like Dad's call to stake president was just a precursor to this, because the Lord has trusted Joe and Jody Johnson to stick it out.  Way to go!  I'll try to be more like you all.  You have lives to live, and yet you're still great missionaries.  I have all day to do it.  Keep it up!  Love you!

Elder Johnson


1 comment:

  1. "At least I didn't forget that yesterday honors the independence of the greatest country in the west coast of South America. I'm sorry if that sounded a little bold, so I will apologize to any Chileans that are currently reading." Oh my goodness! He is just the cutest! I could almost see him smiling the way he does when he's being funny as he said that. I just love that boy!

    ReplyDelete