Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Miguel Diaz, Come on Down!

March 24, 2014

Miguel Diaz, Come on Down!

I was thinking of that subject line with The Price is Right voice.

Oh, also, I was just kidding last week when I wrote "hey the family."  I still get annoyed when I think about how many people in the States can't write the correct "there" in a sentence.  Thank you very much.

Anyway, pretty fun week in terms of less actives.  First off, I was in another area for a day called Pativilca with Elder Tum, my other Guatemalan.  Pativilca is like Paramonga, but with a lot more mosquitoes. Elder Tum and his companion had told me about the Huaman family a long time ago, some less actives that just never could progress.  We decided that day to talk about the temple, with some references to D&C 132.  The result was almost unreal.  When we invited them to church, the wife said "maybe" because she has to sell on Sundays. We asked them, in turn, "So what's more important?  Working on Sunday, or being there (pointing to the picture of the temple)?"  Everything changed there.  The husband started asking questions about when he could get to the temple and everything.  It was fantastic.

Another less active we are teaching, Paul Mendoza, now has the goal to get the priesthood.  His mom is recovering from a mild stroke, and he admitted to us how bad he has felt that he couldn't be the one to give her a priesthood blessing.

Miguel Diaz is another less active who, just last night, has committed to quit working on Sundays.  They also have the goal for the temple!

Even though we couldn't apply it well to investigators too much this week, the principle taught in Alma 5:62* can also apply to less actives.  If partaking of the fruit of the tree of life is accomplished through making covenants, then investigators just need a goal for a covenant.  Then, they will understand why they need to cling constantly to the iron rod.

It's a good time being here.  I know that Paramonga will be sacred ground for me.

Love you all!

Elder Johnson


* “I speak by way of command unto you that belong to the church; and unto those who do not belong to the church I speak by way of invitation, saying: Come and be baptized unto repentance, that ye also may be partakers of the fruit of the tree of life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment